Sunday, June 27, 2010

Free Vintage Clip Art - Silhouettes

I adore this sweet little image!


Click on image to download

This image has so much detail and I love the little swirlies.  I can picture myself as a little girl riding inside of this adorable little carriage.  What fun that would have been!


Click on image to download

Now who or what do you suppose this little girl is shaking her finger at?

Etienne de Silhouette, a French finance minister in the mid 1700's, is credited with cutting little portraits out of black paper and his name became attached to the art form.

Silhouettes were widely popular in the United States from 1790 to 1840 until the advent of the camera, although silhouette artists worked state fairs well into the 20th century.


The use of silhouette portraits are experiencing a come back recently and I for one am very happy to see the renewed interest in an almost lost art form.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment